Master of Accountancy
Accounting is the recording and control of financial information in order for entities to make informed business decisions. This program develops the skills needed for the student to advance to senior levels within public accounting, industry and government agencies.
Why Accountancy is in Demand:
- Accounting is known as the “language of business” and provides an excellent foundation for future senior-level positions. Many CEOs started their career in accounting roles.
- The job outlook for accountants and auditors is expected to grow 13% from 2012-2022 according to The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. (Source: Occupational Outlook Handbook)
- The demand for flexible, high quality accounting education at the masters level is at an all-time high and is expected to continue growing at a rapid rate.
- Data from CareerBuilder.com shows that business is the number one college major most in demand today. In particular, accountants have historically been in high demand during all kinds of economic cycles.
- AICPA research shows 43,252 accounting graduates were hired in 2014 and 91% of public accounting firms forecast continual growth. (Source: AICPA.org)
Is it for me?
- Are you interested in a career in business?
- Are you an analytical person?
- Do you have a strong work ethic?
Five Reasons to Choose Scranton for Master of Accountancy
Your parents may remember the popular 1980s sitcom Cheers whose theme song was ‘Where Everybody Knows Your Name.’ That’s how I would describe our close campus community at Scranton. You're not going to get lost here. We know students by their first names and provide a high level of individual attention.
-Douglas Boyle, D.B.A., CPA
Associate Professor and Department Chair
Preparing You For Personal & Professional Successplus or minus
What You'll Learnplus or minus
Pursue Your Passion and Make a Differenceplus or minus
Where will Accountancy take me?
- Someone working in accountancy leadership may support a number of job functions including financial advisory services, consulting, growth enterprise, taxes, audits, and more.
- Those working in accountancy leadership roles may work in a variety of professional environments, including the Big 4 accounting firms: Deloitte LLP, PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), Ernst & Young, and KPMG.
- Graduates may also work for regional and local public accounting firms with a focus on advancing the financial growth of these organizations.
- Our alumni work at all levels in public accounting, public and private companies and government agencies.
- Many of our alumni who serve in senior executive roles provide outstanding career mentoring and internship/job placement opportunities
Companies that have hired recent accounting graduates span a wide range of industries and include:
- BBD Investment Management Group
- Ernst & Young
- Grant Thornton
- J.P. Morgan
- McGrail, Merkel, Quinn and Associates
- Baker Tilly
- SEI Investments
How Scranton Gives You a Competitive Edge
One of the many things students tell us they love about Scranton is that our dedicated faculty and staff are very active in helping them achieve their career goals. As you walk across campus, you’ll often see students chatting with professors over coffee to bounce ideas.
Whether it’s advising or providing letters of references, faculty and staff make it their priority to get to know each student on an individual level. That deep level of understanding means that our experienced instructors are not only top teachers and strong researchers, but also advocates for you professionally.