Accounting is the recording and control of financial information in order to help organizations achieve success by making well-informed business decisions.
Accountants perform a variety of essential business functions for organizations, including:
- Accurately preparing financial statements and ensuring their legal and regulatory compliance
- Calculating, preparing and paying corporate taxes
- Analyzing the costs of operations, products, services and projects
At Scranton, you’ll graduate with a solid command of accounting and business principles, while developing into a well-rounded individual in the liberal arts tradition.
Why Accounting is in Demand:
- All employment sectors and industries require accountants.
- Accounting headed the list of “Top bachelor's degrees in demand, by major,” according to the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) Job Outlook 2016 report.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) forecasts “faster than average” employment growth for accountants and auditors from 2014 through 2024, reporting that, “strong demand for accountants may lead to good prospects for entry-level positions.”
- The study of accounting provides a superior foundation for those who aspire to future senior-level leadership positions.
- “Universities and firms are both optimistic about the growth of the profession … 91% of firms expect their hiring of new accounting graduates to be higher than or the same as the previous year.” – Source: AICPA 2015 Trends Report
Is it for me?
- Are you organized, accurate and detail-oriented?
- Do you have good communication skills?
- Are you an analytical person?
- Are you interested in a career in business?
Five Reasons to Choose Scranton for Accounting
In our close campus community, we know students on a first-name basis. Our faculty, staff and distinguished alumni work together for the success of our students.
-Douglas Boyle, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor and Program Director
Preparing You For Personal & Professional Successplus or minus
What You'll Learnplus or minus
Pursue Your Passion and Make a Differenceplus or minus
Where will Accounting take me?
An accounting degree from Scranton will prepare you to successfully pursue career opportunities in a wide variety of public, private, government or nonprofit sector positions.
Many students choose to become Certified Public Accountants (CPAs). Others pursue a path in corporate accounting, which offers the opportunity to specialize in a specific accounting discipline and focus on an industry of particular interest—for example, developing an expertise in health care or high tech industry auditing.
Either way, the accounting field offers abundant entry-level opportunity, strong starting salaries for new college graduates, high earning potential and a wide variety of career path options, including:
- Accounting Manager
- Asset Manager
- Budget Analyst
- Chief Financial Officer
Top Graduate Schools
Though most of our accounting majors stay with Scranton to earn a master’s degree in the field, some students elect to pursue graduate studies at law or business schools. Here are some of the leading institutions that have accepted Scranton graduates:
- Drexel University
- Loyola College
- Monmouth University
- Seton Hall University
- University of Amsterdam
- Villanova School of Law
- Wagner College
Companies that have hired recent accounting graduates span a wide range of industries and include:
- BBD Investment Management Group
- EY LLC
- Grant Thornton
- J.P. Morgan
- McGrail, Merkel, Quinn and Associates
- Baker Tilly
- SEI Investments
How Scranton Gives You a Competitive Edge
Just because you’re interested in accounting doesn’t mean you want to feel like a number. At The University of Scranton, you won’t.
Our faculty know their students on a first-name basis and make it a priority to understand each individual’s goals. That deep understanding means that our experienced instructors are not only top teachers and strong researchers, but also strong advocates for you professionally.
Our faculty, Center for Career Development and distinguished alumni work together as a team to offer Scranton students a seamless path from undergraduate admission to master’s-prepared CPA with a lucrative job at an international firm. That’s a competitive edge you just won’t find at most universities.