Applied Mathematics (BS)
Applied mathematics concentrates on using mathematical models and techniques to solve problems, often in science, engineering, economics, finance, business or industry. The discipline involves specialized knowledge and understanding of sophisticated mathematics.
More and more students are finding applied mathematics appealing because of the wealth of opportunities. You can work in financial services, health care, energy, electronics, software, management consulting – you name it!
- Thomas Shimkus, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Department Chair
Why Applied Mathematics is in Demand:
- Mathematics is one of the ten highest paying majors according to the National Bureau for Economic Research.
- Employment of mathematicians is expected to grow much faster than average in the coming years. (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- Applying mathematics leads to new ideas and discovery. In some way, shape or form, math is everywhere.
- Logic, creativity, curiosity and critical thinking are necessary in any career.
- The career options for trained mathematicians are extensive – graduates are well-qualified to use their skills in research, business or other professional environments.
Is it for me?
- Are you interested in connecting math to other fields?
- Are you eager to solve problems?
- Do you enjoy numerical calculations?
- Are you curious and patient?
Five Reasons to Choose Scranton for Applied Mathematics (BS)
Mathematics is fundamental to advancements in science, technology, finance and other growing industries where many students may find future careers.
Jason Graham, Ph.D.
Preparing You For Personal & Professional Successplus or minus
What You'll Learnplus or minus
Pursue Your Passion and Make a Differenceplus or minus
Where will Applied Mathematics take me?
As societal problems become more complex and data becomes more and more accessible, the need for quality professionals to analyze that data grows exponentially. Applied math graduates are equipped with essential knowledge and energized to solve real-world problems using mathematical approaches. The opportunities are exciting!
Top Graduate Schools
Although the Applied Mathematics major is new, a look at the success of past graduates of our department can give you an idea of the possibilities ahead.
Forty percent of math majors pursue graduate school and advanced study in fields ranging from pure mathematics and engineering to economics and statistics. Graduates of our department have continued their education at top schools across the country, including:
- Lehigh University
- University of Virginia
- Boston University
- Colorado State University
- Georgetown University
- University of California
- University of Delaware
- University of Massachusetts
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Rochester
- Wharton School of Business
- Yale University
From military service to work in higher education, our graduates have a broad scope of successful career outcomes. Here are just a few examples:
- Biostatistician, Cardiovascular Research Foundation
- Navy Officer, Naval Surface Warfare Center
- Associate Research Specialist, Princeton University
- Senior Investment Analyst, The Vanguard Group
- Economic Analyst, Millenium Challenge Corporation
- Technical Analyst, GUARD Insurance
- Actuary, AXA Equitable
- Software Engineer, Northrop Grumman
- Actuarial Associate, Voya Financial
How Scranton Gives You a Competitive Edge
The strong community and dedicated faculty at The University of Scranton help prepare graduates to be confident scholars and professionals. As a graduate, you will enter the workforce or advanced education with a highly respected degree from the Scranton mathematics department. As an Applied Mathematics major, you will have a practical degree that represents the most contemporary needs of workplaces and research labs.