Biology is the study of the living world around us. It explores the structure and function of living organisms including animals, plants, bacteria, and viruses. Through one-on-one interaction with our faculty, our students gain in-depth experience in the process of science, learn laboratory techniques, as well as share in the excitement of scientific discovery.
Why Biology is in Demand:
- Science Technology majors are one of the top 10 college majors most in demand according to CareerBuilder.com.
- Biology majors can apply their intellectual curiosity and interests to a wide range of professions in the health sciences industry.
- Biological sciences prepare excellent candidates for medical, dental and veterinary school graduate programs. Almost all of the courses needed for these professional schools are included in undergraduate requirements.
- Undergraduate research opportunities provide students with real-world experience, lab proficiency and technical skills to apply in a variety of job settings.
Is it for me?
- Are you curious about living organisms?
- Do you like conducting experiments?
- Do you enjoy analyzing results?
Five Reasons to Choose Scranton for Biology
Preparing You For Personal & Professional Successplus or minus
What You'll Learnplus or minus
Pursue Your Passion and Make a Differenceplus or minus
Where will biology take me?
Our biology curriculum will provide you with the solid foundation you need to advance further, whether you decide to continue your education or go straight into industry working in biology and related fields.
Here are some examples of jobs depending on your interests:
- Biological Scientist
- College Professor
- Health Technologist
- High School Teacher
Top Graduate Schools
A large number of our graduates go on to medical school. Other alumni/alumnae pursue graduate education in other areas of health sciences. Here are some of the leading graduate schools and universities which have admitted recent graduates:
- Cornell University
- Harvard Medical School
- Jefferson Medical College
- University of New Hampshire
- Weill Medical College of Cornell University
Here are some of the organizations in the public and private sectors employing our graduates:
- Abbott Labs
- Becton Dickinson
- Biomed Labs
- Fisher Scientific
- Lederle Laboratories
- Marine Institute at the University of Georgia
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
- Microtest Labs
- Yale University
How Scranton Gives You a Competitive Edge
One of the many things students tell us they love about Scranton is that our faculty are very active in helping them achieve their career goals. As you walk across campus, you’ll often see students chatting with faculty.
Whether it’s advising or providing letters of references for a competitive graduate school or that dream job, faculty make it their priority to get to know each student on an individual basis. That deep level of understanding means that our faculty members are not only dedicated teachers and strong researchers but advocates for you professionally.
Biology is a rigorous and challenging major. We want all of our students to succeed – every single one.
– Janice Voltzow,
Professor of Biology