Our program is approved by the American Chemical Society and prepares students for a broad range of opportunities, including graduate studies and industry careers.
The chemistry department offers five majors:
- Forensic Chemistry
Why Chemistry is in Demand:
- Chemistry majors get hands-on experience in a variety of research and lab settings, making them exceptional candidates for industrial careers, graduate school and professional studies.
- They also build strong foundations to pursue a broad scope of career fields ranging from medicine and pharmacy to forensics and research.
- For 2015, biochemists median annual pay was $82,150 and the job outlook for emplyoment for 2014-2024 is expected to grow 8 percent, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Logic, innovation and collaboration are applicable skills in any career.
Is it for me?
- Are you a self-starter?
- Interested in experiments and concentrated research?
- Driven to discover more about the world we live in?
Five Reasons to Choose Scranton for Chemistry Programs
Preparing You For Personal & Professional Successplus or minus
What You'll Learnplus or minus
Pursue Your Passion and Make a Differenceplus or minus
Where will chemistry take me?
From top-tier graduate programs to real-world application in research labs and organizations across the country, our graduates realize a variety of successful outcomes.
- Our program prepares students for advanced study in chemistry and for employment in other academic laboratories, national research laboratories and industrial research and development laboratories.
- We also provide a solid foundation for students interested in the health professions, including medical and dental schools.
- Our chemistry majors who apply to medical schools enjoy an acceptance rate nearly twice the national average.
- Other graduates have gone in a different direction by attending law school.
Top Graduate Schools
Chemistry majors are thoroughly prepared to pursue advanced studies in the health and science professions. You’ll find our graduates continuing their education at top medical, business and graduate schools across the country, including:
- Columbia University
- Duke University
- Georgetown University
- New York University
- Princeton University
- Purdue University
- Syracuse University
- Temple University
- Thomas Jefferson University
- University of Cincinnati
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Virginia
Graduates entering the workforce have found success in a variety of career fields. Here are just a few of the organizations employing our exceptional alumni:
- Sharpe and Dohme
- Fisher Scientific
- Performance Fluid Management
How Scranton Gives You a Competitive Edge
At Scranton, you won’t be alone in your educational journey. We understand that a healthy balance of collaboration and independent study is key to success in scientific disciplines. Through mentorship from our expert faculty and collaboration with fellow students, you’ll learn to act as a self-starter and leader in the classroom, in the lab, on campus and beyond.
Scranton is just the right size. We're large enough to have an impressive array of instruments and small enough for students to use them.
- Joan Wasilewski, Ph.D.,
Professor and Department Chair