AboutElectrical engineering is the application of physics and mathematics to the study of photonics and semiconductor devices, sensors, analog and digital electronic circuit design, power generation and delivery, telecommunications, image and signal processing, computer interfacing and robotics.
Why Electrical Engineering is in Demand:
- Nearly 90 percent of Americans own a computerized gadget – a smart phone, a tablet, an e-reader, a laptop. From hospitals and factories to classrooms and offices, technology is everywhere.
- Engineering is one of the top 10 college majors most in demand. (Source: CareerBuilder.com)
- The median annual wage for electrical engineers was $95,230 in 2015. (Source: United States Department of Labor Statistics)
- Technical skills in written and verbal communication, information technology, analytical thinking and research are characteristics highly sought after by all employers.
Is it for me?
- Do you like designing things that work?
- Love problem solving?
- Enjoy the challenge of making the impossible possible?
Five Reasons to Choose Scranton for Electrical Engineering
Preparing You For Personal & Professional Successplus or minus
What You'll Learnplus or minus
Pursue Your Passion and Make a Differenceplus or minus
Where will electrical engineering take me?
Engineering majors at Scranton are well prepared to excel in their chosen profession in the private, public, and government sectors. Many of our electrical engineering majors go on to graduate school while others enter industry right after graduation.
Here is some examples of jobs depending on your interests:
- Business Development Analyst
- Electrical Engineer
- Facility Engineer
- Field Engineer
- High school math teacher
- IT Program Director
- Nuclear Engineer
- Product Marketing Engineer
- Systems Engineer
- Test Engineer
Top Graduate Schools
Just some of the prestigious graduate schools which have admitted recent graduates:
- Drexel University
- Lehigh University
- Michigan State University Law School
- Penn State University
- SUNY Binghamton
- University of Miami
- University of Rochester
- Yale University
You’ll find Scranton electrical engineering graduates working in a wide range of companies and organizations including:
- BAE Systems
- Booz Allen Hamilton
- Fairchild Semiconductor
- FTS International
- Gryphon Technologies
- Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory
- Parsons Brinckerhoff
- Sanofi Pasteur
Tobyhanna Army Depot
How Scranton Gives You a Competitive Edge
Whether it's advising or providing letters of references for a competitive graduate school or dream job, faculty make it their priority to get to know each student on an individual level. That deep level of understanding means that our faculty members are not only dedicated teachers and strong researchers but advocates for you professionally.
The opportunity to shadow local engineering professionals while conducting energy audits was a great introduction to sustainability and also added to my understanding of building electrical systems. I’m happy that department faculty recognized the job growth in this sector.
- Rob Huylo, Class of 2014
The computer and electrical engineering programs
are accredited by ABET, http://www.abet.org
111 Market Place, Suite 1050
Baltimore, MD 21202-4012