International business is an interdisciplinary program, drawing on all areas of business, with a particular focus on international trade, multinational corporations, and foreign direct investment. We provide broadly-educated, flexible graduates with a sound core of the functional areas of business and a passion for understanding the world.
Why is International Business in demand?
- Employers in both the public and private sectors are increasingly valuing candidates who have a global mindset and cross-cultural sensitivities.
- Business today is global; more than a quarter of everything made or grown in the world crosses international borders.
- A survey of CEO’s of Fortune 500 firms found that international business skills and knowledge were important for promotion and also for appointment to entry-level positions. (Source: “CEO Views on the Value of International Business Skills and Education,” 2010.)
- Approximately 30% of the top 700 CEO’s in the USA have had international experience.
Is it for me?
- Do you want to work for an international company or organization?
- Are you curious about the world at large?
- Do you want to use a second language or want to speak a second language?
Five Reasons to Choose Scranton for International Business
Preparing You For Personal & Professional Successplus or minus
What You'll Learnplus or minus
Pursue Your Passion and Make a Differenceplus or minus
Where will International Business take me?
With a degree in international business from The University of Scranton – and a passport – your career can take you literally anywhere in the world. Some graduates opt to stay closer to home working with export/import firms or in non-profit organizations, just to name a couple of examples.
Top Graduate Schools
After graduation, you may want to pursue an advanced degree. Here are some of the leading institutions in the States and around the world that have accepted our graduates:
- University of Leuven (Leuven, Belgium)
- University College Cork – National University of Ireland
- Foro Europeo (Navarra, Spain)
- University of Westminster (London, England)
- Georgetown Law
- Johns Hopkins University
- New York University
- American University
- Fordham University
- George Washington University
- Temple University
- Boston College
- Seton Hall University
- Syracuse University College of Law
Job prospects and starting salaries for international business graduates of Scranton are excellent. Companies that have hired our recent graduates span a variety of industries and include:
- American International Chemicals
- Arm & Hammer
- AXA Financial
- BBC America
- China Shipping
- Federal Reserve Bank (New York)
- Hewlett Packard
- Hiscox (Lloyds of London)
- Jefferson Smurfit (Dublin)
- Johnson & Johnson
- Kraft Foods
- Lockheed Martin
- Morgan Stanley
- Thomson Reuters
- US Navy International Programs
Even if you are going to be working locally in your career, you need to be well-versed in international business. For example, a foreign company could own your firm or your competitors could be overseas. No matter what industry you work in, you have to be able to understand the complexity of interactions between firms from different countries and the countries themselves.
-Susan Trussler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Program Director
How Scranton Gives You a Competitive Edge
One of the many things students tell us they love about Scranton is how our dedicated faculty and staff are very active in helping them achieve their career goals. As you walk across campus, you’ll often see students chatting with professors over coffee to bounce ideas.
Whether it’s advising or providing letters of references, faculty and staff make it their priority to get to know each student on an individual level. That deep level of understanding means that our experienced faculty members are not only top teachers and strong researchers, but also advocates for you professionally.