AboutOffered in the Department of History, international studies provides students with a broad knowledge of world affairs through a curriculum drawn in large measure from history and political science. They gain a full recognition and understanding of the many forces which shape the contemporary world, including nationalism, wars, political and economic ideologies, globalization, geographic factors, cultural differentials and modern technology.
Why International Studies is in Demand:
- Embracing global perspectives – the rise of globalization means that the workforce of today and tomorrow requires international knowledge for career success.
- Employers in both the public and private sectors are increasingly valuing candidates who have a global mindset and cross-cultural sensitivities.
- There’s an ongoing need to address humanitarian crises and political conflicts in our interconnected and interdependent world.
- According to The Huffington Post, PayScale data shows that international studies is one of the top 10 liberal arts majors that “pay back.”
Is it for me?
- Thinking about working for a government agency like USAID or an international organization such as the United Nations or World Bank?
- Interested in a career in law, education or working for a multinational company?
- Are you planning on joining the R.O.T.C. and want a greater knowledge of international affairs?
Five Reasons to Choose Scranton for International Studies
Preparing You For Personal & Professional Successplus or minus
What You'll Learnplus or minus
Pursue Your Passion and Make a Differenceplus or minus
Where will International Studies take me?
With international studies as your major, the world is your proverbial oyster. Here are just some examples of fields that you can go into depending on your interests:
- Foreign Policy
- Higher Education
- International Business
Top Graduate Schools
Here are some of the leading law schools which have admitted recent graduates:
- American University
- Georgetown University
- George Washington University
- New York University
- New York University – Paris Campus
- Temple University
Other alumni have pursued graduate education at other leading institutions including:
- The American University, School of International Services
- University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Here are some of the organizations in the public and private sectors employing Scranton graduates:
- ABC News
- Bankers Trust Company
- Chase Manhattan Bank
- Evite and BuySeasons
- Fox News
- Judge Advocate General’s Corps
- Office of the Attorney General
- Paine Weber
- Sears and Kmart
- Teach for America
- U.S. Department of State
- U.S. Military
How Scranton Gives You a Competitive Edge
One of the many things students tell us they love about Scranton is that our dedicated staff is very active in helping them achieve their career goals. As you walk across campus, you’ll often see students chatting with faculty over coffee to bounce ideas.
Whether it’s advising or providing letters of references for a competitive graduate school or that dream job, faculty make it their priority to get to know each student on an individual level. That deep level of understanding means that our faculty members are not only top teachers and strong researchers, but also advocates for you professionally.