The political science major positions you for success in a variety of fields. You’ll develop skills in critical thinking, active learning and leadership that can be applied wherever your dreams take you. Discover a strong community of students discussing, collaborating and leading the charge for the next generation of world-changers in our cutting-edge program.
Our political science major offers a solid undergraduate education in the liberal arts tradition, which helps our graduates succeed in both their careers and in life.
Why Political Science is in Demand:
- Political decisions impact everyone on a local, state, national and international level.
- Practiced written and verbal skills, strong interpersonal communication, consensus building and leadership are valued assets in any career.
- There’s a need for productive citizens and effective leaders to improve communities across the country and around the world.
- Political science majors are excellently prepared candidates for law school as well as other graduate and professional studies.
Is it for me?
- Do you enjoy taking the lead in groups?
- Do you like to debate issues?
- Are you someone who questions the status quo and wants to make things better?
Five Reasons to Choose Scranton for Political Science
Political Science is the right choice if you are looking to engage in your community to make it a better place to live for everyone.
Jean Wahl Harris, Ph.D.
Preparing You For Personal & Professional Successplus or minus
What You'll Learnplus or minus
Pursue Your Passion and Make a Differenceplus or minus
Where will Political Science take me?
A degree in political science will open doors for you to pursue graduate studies or to begin your career. In a world of global politics, embracing diverse perspectives is key. Many of our students spend a semester abroad, studying politics, law or government in a foreign country. Learn more about the study abroad programs offered at Scranton to see where political science can take you! Several of our recent graduates have also been awarded prestigious Fulbright grants – are you next?
Graduate and Law Schools:
Political science majors go on to pursue graduates degrees and advanced study of topics, including: public administration, international relations and law.
You’ll find our recent graduates continuing their education at:
- American University
- Baruch College
- Boston University
- Brooklyn Law School
- Georgetown University
- George Washington University
- Hofstra University School of Law
- Pace University School of Law
- Penn State University
- Seton Hall University
- St. Louis University
- University of Maryland School of Law
- University of Miami School of Law
- Villanova University
Whether you want to be an attorney, civil servant, journalist, marketing professional, professor or something else entirely – a degree in political science will prepare you to take the lead in any path you choose.
Here are some of the positions our alumni hold:
- District representative at the U.S. House of Representatives for Rita Lowey (D-New York, 17th)
- Second lieutenant and a military intelligence officer for the United States Army
- Credentials analyst at The Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates
- Immigration lawyer
- Assistant public defender in Scranton
- Adjunct instructor at Southern State Community College
- Director of legal studies and associate professor of political science at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Communications director for U.S. Senator Robert P. Casey, Jr.
- Caseworker & field representative for U.S. Congressman Tom Reed [NY-23]
- English teaching assistant on a Fulbright Scholarship to Spain
- Senior program development officer at Catholic Relief Services
- Director of the Unaccompanied Children Program, Center on Immigration and Justice, at the VERA Institute of Justice
- Senior vice president for property management at Paramount Group, Inc.
My political science studies at The University of Scranton not only thoroughly prepared me for law school, but taught me a great deal about the way the world works through local, state, national and international politics. The University has helped to shape the way I approach local governance and advise clients everyday.
-Jason A. Shrive, Esq., Class of 2006
Scranton City Solicitor
How Scranton Gives You a Competitive Edge
Students come to Scranton from a spectrum of diverse viewpoints. As a result, we make sure the classroom is a comfortable place to express and defend your views. You’ll learn how to make sound arguments and support your positions while appreciating the perspectives of others.