Theology/Religious Studies provides students with the opportunity to reflect on a wide variety of religious ideas from the Bible and other classical texts within the long and varied Christian tradition.
Why is Theology in demand?
- The study of religion is important because it concerns the deepest questions humans can ask, and it is one of the most ubiquitous aspects of the human experience.
- Faith has motivated the greatest acts of philanthropy and the most intractable conflicts in history.
- Religion is everywhere –in popular music, movies, politics, advertising and television shows. It is the backbone of all culture, and one cannot understand our own culture or others without studying religious faith.
- The study of theology sharpens one’s critical thinking, critical reading and writing skills, which are necessary skills in any profession.
Is it for me?
Are you interested in:
- a wide variety of religious ideas from the Bible and other classical texts?
- the religions of the world?
- questions about God?
Five Reasons to Choose Scranton for Theology/Religious Studies
Preparing You For Personal & Professional Successplus or minus
What You'll Learnplus or minus
Pursue Your Passion and Make a Differenceplus or minus
Where will Theology/Religious Studies take me?
The Theology/Religious Studies major prepares students for careers requiring cultural understanding, critical thinking and ethical discernment. Graduates of the Theology/ Religious Studies major at The University of Scranton have gone on to careers in:
- High school teaching in theology or religion
- Campus ministry
- Pastoral care or hospital chaplaincy
- Youth ministry
- Directing religious education
- Elementary and secondary education
- Government service
- Jesuit and other volunteer programs
- Ordained ministry (both Catholic and Protestant)
Many are continuing their study of theology in M.A. and Ph.D. programs as well as seminaries across the country. Others are pursuing postgraduate studies in areas such as:
- Art history
- Clinical psychology
How Scranton Gives You a Competitive Edge
One of the many things students tell us they love about Scranton is that our faculty are very active in helping them achieve their career goals. As you walk across campus, you’ll often see students chatting with faculty over coffee to bounce ideas.
Whether it’s advising or providing letters of references for a competitive graduate school or that dream job, faculty make it their priority to get to know each student on an individual level. That deep level of understanding means that our faculty are not only dedicated teachers and strong researchers but advocates for you professionally.