Get the Facts
If you’re interested in attending college, chances are this isn’t your first university website visit, or your first look at an obligatory list of facts. It is probably all running together, right?
What you need to know is why The University of Scranton is the right choice for you. You expect more – and we will expect more of you. That is the Scranton difference.
Our Campus plus or minus
- History lesson: Founded in 1888, but entrusted to the care of the Society of Jesus in 1942, The University of Scranton is one of only 28 Jesuit, Catholic universities in the country. What does it mean to be a Jesuit institution? Here’s an explanation of who we are, and why it matters. Read more about our Jesuit Tradition.
- The Campus: In recent years, we've invested more than $260 million in campus improvements, either completed or under way. The Kevin P. Quinn, S.J., Athletics Campus is a $14 million project that features NCAA regulation baseball and softball fields, as well as a multi-purpose field that meets NCAA regulations for men's and women's soccer, field hockey and men's and women's lacrosse. Leahy Hall, the new $47.5 million home for our Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy and Exercise Science programs, opened in fall 2015. Other recently completed construction includes the Loyola Science Center, as well as Pilarz and Montrone Halls, home to nearly 400 upper-class students, a fitness center, convenience store and dining area. Read more about our campus.
- Location: Our campus sits in the heart of the city of Scranton. We have the charms of the city (shopping, entertainment and cultural activities), as well as the mountains (biking, skiing, hiking and fishing). Pack accordingly! As for exact location, just place a pin between Philadelphia, New York City and Syracuse, N.Y., and you’ll find us. Just off of Interstate 81, we are a two-hour drive from each. Scranton is also where I-84 begins. Head east and discover for yourself. Read more about our location.
Our Community plus or minus
- Student Body: With over 3,800 students on campus, hailing from all over the Mid-Atlantic and New England states, you’re sure to find someone just like you. At the same time, you’ll make lots of friends with people you might never have expected. Noteworthy fact: With more than 2,100 alumni couples and counting, you might just meet “the one” here.
- Your Professors: Our 300 full-time faculty members are not only committed researchers and teachers, but are also highly regarded experts in their respective fields. It’s common to see them cited in articles by national publications like The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and USA Today. See the "Meet Our Faculty" page.
- Alumni Network: We are more than 51,000 graduates strong, so there are Royals living everywhere and, more importantly, succeeding everywhere. Our regional clubs, affiliate groups and networking opportunities will enable you to communicate and connect with fellow alumni in your field. Read more about our alumni.
Our Numbersplus or minus-58-acre campus
-More than $260 million in campus improvements, either completed or under way
-Nearly 4,000 full-time undergraduate students
-Average Class Size: 20
-Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 12:1
-Freshman retention rate: 88%
-Freshmen living on campus: 91%
-Housing that is new or renovated: 98%
-88% of full-time, instructional faculty members hold doctoral degrees and 66% are tenured
-Members of the faculty hold degrees from 289 different universities in 25 countries on five continents.
Work & Play plus or minus
- What to Study: Know where you want to go professionally? With 85 undergraduate programs and tracks available, we’ll get you there. For our first-year students still figuring out their paths, you are not alone. Approximately 20 percent of our students enroll as undecided majors. Our Common Curriculum programs will ease the process leading to a decision, while helping you graduate in eight semesters. Find your major & minor.
- Athletics: Play a sport? Chances are we offer it. Scranton sponsors 23 NCAA Division III (non-scholarship) athletic programs – eleven for men and twelve for women. And we’re successful, too, earning 158 conference titles. More than a thousand students participate in club sports and intramurals. Read more about athletics.