Welcome to The University of Scranton
Our tradition of opening doors for each other is a custom—
and a courtesy—you’ll often experience across our campus.
“Opening doors” speaks to our close community, but—
even more—it is a reminder of the immense opportunities
and bright futures that await all who come here.
and purposeful, rigorous and transformative, this is an
education that will open doors for a lifetime.
Catholic and Jesuit
As a Catholic and Jesuit Institution, we deliver a meaningful education that challenges our students morally, spiritually and intellectually.
- Pope Francis is the first Jesuit to lead the Roman Catholic Church.
- Founded in 1888, Scranton is one of 27 Jesuit universities in the U.S. with a combined network of more than 2.1 million alumni.
- We facilitate experiential learning opportunities that promise immersion and reflection.
- We offer our students an education that matches the needs of our world, today and tomorrow.
- Get inspired by the research agenda of accomplished professors as you broaden and deepen your educational experience with hands-on research.
A Faculty Invested in You
Scranton professors are not only highly regarded researchers and teachers; they are caring, involved mentors as well.
They attend student plays, games and concerts. They lead study and service trips.
They serve as
They help carry boxes for students on Move-In Day! Scranton faculty invest in the lives of their students.
And, if you come here, they will invest in you.
A Global Perspective
Our world is shrinking, and to succeed, students need a global vision. With a full offering of study abroad, travel courses and service experiences, The University of Scranton enables students to engage with different peoples and cultures, making our graduates more confident, more well-rounded — and, in the end, more marketable.
Learning by Doing
Scranton students find abundant opportunities to apply classroom learning in the real world.
- We encourage all students to gain experience and make connections through internships.
- Many of our students participate in high-level research.
- And students regularly collaborate on professional projects within the local community and beyond.
“Participating in domestic service at Scranton allowed me the opportunity to put Jesuit ideals into action. I am forever grateful for the lessons, memories and friendships that service has given me.”
Class of 2021
Major: International Business
Hometown: Marlboro, New York
Scranton students find many opportunities to develop leadership skills.
- Students help plan and guide campus activities and events.
- They participate in leadership programs and workshops.
- They engage in extensive co-curricular activities in each of our three colleges.
Through experiences geared toward personal and professional development, they grow into capable, confident, lifelong leaders.
Today’s employers and graduate schools are looking for confident, well-rounded graduates who can think, communicate and problem-solve. The University of Scranton offers students myriad opportunities to learn and embrace these marketable skills.
This is a full— and fulfilling— education that will prepare you in every way—for a successful career, for a meaningful life.
An Affordable Education
The University of Scranton is an exceptional education in the Catholic and Jesuit tradition. But this quality, private education is very affordable as well. With 99 percent of our first-year students receiving financial aid, you’ll find a University of Scranton education to be well within reach.
Tuition, Fee and Average Financial Aid Package
Along with offering generous financial aid packages, Scranton is committed to making education affordable, maintaining tuition increases of under 3%.
Tuition & Fees
Room & Board
Total Direct Cost
(not including parent and private loans)
The Value of a Scranton Education
Cost is a factor in any college decision. But a more important consideration should be value. A Scranton education in the Catholic and Jesuit tradition is an immersive experience—values-based, outcomes-focused and well rounded—that delivers an excellent return on your college investment.
An October 2015 report by The Economist ranks The University of Scranton No. 22 in the nation (top 2% of four-year colleges) for the impact a Scranton education has on the earnings of its graduates.
A recent report by the Brookings Metropolitan Policy Program places Scranton among the top 100 schools in the nation for the economic value of its education.