Transfer FAQ's

Transfer FAQ's

We know that you may have many questions when applying as a transfer student. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of our frequently asked questions. Please do not hesitate to contact us at 1-888-SCRANTON or

The scholarship requirements listed below were for transfer students entering in fall 2016 taking the old SAT, which was administered prior to March 2016.

  • Who is a transfer student?plus or minus

    Any student who has enrolled in college courses after high school graduation, regardless of whether credit is earned or not, is considered a transfer student.

  • Questions Related to Application Reviewplus or minus

    How do I apply for transfer admission?

    Transfer students can apply online for free. Read more about application options and requirements.

    What are your preferred application deadlines?

    Fall semester: August 1

    Spring semester: December 15

    Applications received after the preferred dates are considered on a space-available basis.

    What are your application requirements and where do I send the required documents?

    Please visit the Transfer Application Checklist page for specific requirements and mailing address.

    What factors are considered in the Admissions decision?

    Applicants are considered for acceptance on a case-by-case basis and are reviewed on a variety of criteria, including:

    If under 30 college credits:

    •  Cumulative high school GPA

    •  SAT Math and Critical Reading scores

    •  Cumulative college GPA

    If over 30 college credits:

    •  Cumulative college GPA

    For all applicants:

    •  Extracurricular activities

    •  Community service

    •  Leadership experience

    •  Letter of recommendation

    •  Personal statement

    Notification of the admissions decision is made on a rolling basis.

    Do you require an interview?

    While an interview is not required, prospective students may schedule a personal appointment with the transfer counselor. The personal appointment is non-evaluative and is for students and parents who may have questions about the University or who wish to discuss a specific situation with regard to admission.

    The appointment can be made in combination with a tour. You can schedule an appointment online or by contacting the Office of Admissions at ­1-888-SCRANTON.

    What if I don’t meet the acceptance criteria?

    Transfer students who do not meet all criteria for regular admission, but show reasonable promise of success, may be considered for probationary acceptance. Probationary status limits the number of credits in the first semester to no more than 14. This status may be removed after completion of one semester with the required GPA as stated within the individual program of study.

  • Questions Related to Transferring Creditsplus or minus

    How do I know if my credits will transfer?

    Applicants are required to submit college transcripts for all post-secondary institutions attended. Upon receipt, an individual course evaluation will be completed. Only courses with a grade of C or better will be reviewed. Applicants will receive a letter with course-by-course equivalency and course placement within the chosen program of study.

    What is the maximum amount of credits that I can transfer?

    Transfer students need to complete a minimum of 63 credits at The University of Scranton in order to obtain a bachelor’s degree. The maximum amount of transferable credits depends upon the total number of credits required to complete a particular program of study. Special consideration is given to students with double majors, minors or areas of concentration.

    How do I get transfer credit for Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate courses?

    For information specific to Advanced Placement, International Baccalureate, and college credit, please click here.

  • Questions Related to Scholarships & Financial Aidplus or minus

    Are scholarships available for transfer students?

    Loyola and Arrupe Scholarships are available to qualifying transfer students. All accepted students are automatically evaluated for scholarships based on the complete Admissions application. Scholarship recipients will be notified in their acceptance letters. Eligibility criteria is as follows:

    If under 30 college credits completed:

    •  High school cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better

    •  SAT Math and Reading cumulative score of 1000 or better (Old SAT)

    •  Cumulative college GPA of 3.0 or better

    If over 30 college credits completed:

    •  Cumulative college GPA of 3.0 or better.

    How do I apply for Financial Aid?

    Students who wish to apply for need-based financial aid should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at by April 15 for the following fall semester. Spring term entries need to update their FAFSA to include The University of Scranton (code 003384) on the college section.

    Please contact the Financial Aid Office at ­1-888-SCRANTON or email for questions regarding the transfer of specific financial aid awards. Outside scholarships can be researched at

  • Questions Related to Campus Lifeplus or minus

    How do I get in touch with a coach?

    All of our coaches have phone numbers and ­email addresses listed online. Visit:

    Do I have to live on campus?

    Freshman and sophomore students not living at home with a parent or relative in Northeast PA are required to live in an on-campus residence hall.

    Can I have a car on campus?

    All commuter students, along with junior and senior resident students, may have a car on campus. Freshman and sophomore resident students are not eligible for on-campus parking.

    Is housing available for transfer students?

    Yes, on-campus housing is available for transfer students and is guaranteed for all subsequent terms. Students are assigned housing based on social class level.

  • Questions Related to Registration, Orientation & Visiting Campusplus or minus

    Once accepted, how do I register for courses?

    After you are offered acceptance and submit your confirmation deposit, your file will be forwarded to the advising center of your major. An advisor will register you for courses based on your transfer credit evaluation. You will meet with an advisor during Orientation to review the schedule and make any necessary changes.

    Is there a transfer orientation?

    The University conducts transfer orientation for both the fall and spring semesters each year. Orientation takes place a few days before classes start. Resident students move into campus housing at the beginning of orientation.

    How do I schedule a visit?

    You can schedule a campus tour, information session and/or personal appointment online, or you can contact the Office of Admissions at (570) 941-6654, 1-888-SCRANTON.