International Application FAQ's

International Application FAQ's

We know that you may have many questions when applying as an international student. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of our frequently asked questions. Please do not hesitate to contact us at 1-888-SCRANTON or

  • Do you offer conditional admission? plus or minus

    We do offer conditional admission pending proof of English proficiency. The conditional admission is offered to those applicants that meet our academic requirements for admission as determined by the Admissions Committee. Final acceptance is pending all official documentation.

  • What are your English language requirements?plus or minus

    Applicants that are from non-English speaking countries are required to submit proof of English proficiency. This proof can be achieved in a number of ways:

    - Submission of an official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)score report indicating a score of at least 80 on the internet-based test;

    - Submission of an official IELTS (International English Language Testing System)score report indicating a minimum score of overall band 6.5;

    - Attendance at an ELS Language Center with completion of Level 112 - Submission of an official completion certificate and transcript are required;

    - Attendance at the English Language Institute at The University of Delaware with completion of academic Level 6 with grades of B+ or higher - - -Submission of an official transcript is required;

    - Attendance at The Language Company with completion of Level 9 and the Advanced Proficiency Level - Submission of an official completion certificate and transcript are required;

    - Submission of an official STEP (Society for Testing English Proficiency) score of at least Pre-1st grade. Some graduate programs may require a 1st grade score. This exam is offered exclusively to Japanese students by the Society for Testing English Proficiency;

    - Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic minimum score of 53;

    - Submission of an official Duolingo score report indicating a score of at least 105.
  • What activities are available on-campus for international students? plus or minus

    The University of Scranton, through the Student Affairs Division, actively sponsors many programs and services for students. In addition to these programs, international students have opportunities to participate in programs sponsored by the International Student Club, the Saudi Student Club and also many other special interest clubs. The International Student Club meets frequently on various topics including cultural exchange, immigration-related issues, and the Global Dialog Series. During the academic year, the International Student Club sponsors bus trips to nearby cities such as New York City, New York; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; and Washington, DC, with many opportunities for sightseeing, shopping, and entertainment.

    Every semester, as part of the orientation program, The International Student and Scholar Services Office, in collaboration with the International Student Club, will plan a Welcome Gathering, which will bring new and current students together as an effort to better connect new students to the University community. International students are also invited to participate in the International Friendship Program. Through this Friendship Program, international students have the opportunity to be hosted by the University community and learn more about the American way of life.

    See a complete listing of Student Clubs & Organizations

  • How many students attend The University of Scranton? plus or minus

    There are approximately 5,300 students, undergraduate and graduate, attending The University of Scranton.
  • When will I first meet with my advisors? plus or minus

    As an undergraduate student, you will meet with an academic advisor during your Orientation. If you are unable to attend Summer Orientation, there is another Orientation opportunity the week before the semester begins. We would strongly encourage you to attend both the undergraduate and international student orientations.

  • When is the first day of classes? plus or minus

    Please view the University's academic calendar.
  • When will I get my I-20?plus or minus

    To be eligible to receive an I-20 from The University of Scranton, in addition to the academic requirements, you must submit an acceptable certificate of finances. Once you have received a full admission letter and have submitted your Enrollment Decision form, the I-20 is issued. You cannot be issued an I-20 until you have full admission.

    How much do I have to provide in order to be issued an I-20? 

    Certification of Finances Information 2023-2024

    For students pursing undergraduate studies at The University of Scranton, your assured support for the first twelve (12) months of study should be at least US$73,008.00. This total cost estimate consists of:

    Tuition and Fees: ($51,534 flat rate plus $400 in fees) $51,934.00
    Room and Board: (dormitory class B, 14 meal plan) $15,824.00
    Books and Supplies:
    Personal Expenses:
     (including health insurance) $2,500.00

    TOTAL: $73,008.00 U.S. dollars

    The undergraduate student will then require $73,008.00 of projected support (plus an inflation factor) for each additional year of study. Students can normally achieve their degree in four years.